Saturday, May 20, 2017

Crushing Those Thoughts



Crushes are kind of exciting and can feel a little like a hobby.  

Unfortunately, though, in my experience, indulging in a crush has caused me to become self-centered and insensitive to the feelings of others - I'll elaborate:

I suddenly become worried that I need to seem smarter or funnier and trying hard to be either of these things only ends in disaster and embarrassment.  

Sometimes I say or do stupid things that make others uncomfortable or offended.  This sort of thing can happen with any person - crush or not - that I am wishing to impress.  I end up doing the opposite and I'll tell you why this occurs.

A crush puts pressure on people.  If they know you're crushing on them it just gets awkward.  They may not know quite how to act around you.  It may make them feel like they never want to be nice again if the result is that you start crushing on them for it.

 A person who is kind and loving with the love of Christ should be rewarded by the same love in Christ - selfless love that takes nothing for itself but has open eyes to be respectful and kind to the person.

I have a choice to crush on someone and make things all awkward or to be his friend and sister in Christ.

A crush says "I want" whereas a sister says "how can I be generous and serve him?" 

It's about loving and serving others and taking nothing for me!

Wow! How many times do I have to be reminded of this in every relationship?!  I wish I had the power every day to be resolute in the intentions that please God. 

I want to crush those selfish thoughts and aim to always look to God and to the well-being of those around me. Servant, servant, servant, servant, servant, servant.  Always a servant to my King who will give me all good things in His time.

No comments:

Post a Comment