Monday, August 10, 2015

What is Freedom?



At age 14 my friends and I gave going away "blessing" for one of our peers.  We wanted to giver her meaningful gifts and show her she was loved and would be missed.

We all gave her something that represented our idea of freedom.  We wanted her to be free to be herself, free from worrying what others think about her.

This is something we all struggle with and our responses vary as much as we vary as human beings.

I know more about freedom now than I did when I was 14.

There is freedom in obeying Jesus Christ and here's why:  Jesus says to love one another and not be selfish.  So often it is my fear of what others think of me that holds me back from ever being all that I can be.  This is selfishness.   When my eyes are stuck on myself and how I want others to view me, I spiral down, down, down.

When I love and put others needs and what Jesus asks of me as my top priority, I am free.

Living for myself is slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment