Friday, July 22, 2011

Part 1 of recent event: Dreams

A few things have piled up to blog about, so I'll do it in parts! On Tuesday mama Dossie took me and some of my girlfriends to "The Dream Center" in Jackson. It's a former school building that has been made into a home for battered women and children.

You could hardly call it a home, it was still mostly a school. Classrooms had been made into bedrooms and the only 'homey' things were a wicker couch, table and chair. When we got there we had no plan whatsoever as to what we would do. We were just going to find out what God had for us there.

I pretended I knew what I was doing and just started playing with the kids. I made quick friends with one 4 year old little black girl (I'll call her Aryanna). She lived there with her mama. We colored and read stories and occasionally I had to (try to) break up a fight between Aryanna and Joey (one of the little boys. I renamed him too)

There was one boy, Cody, who made such an impression on me. He was a little shy to come color but soon came over to join us when Joey went away. He was quiet and so sweet. He colored so nicely, too and talked to me about school. I was so glad that he gave me his picture, all signed and everything, when we left.

Aryanna gave me hers too and asked if we were going to come back. I totally want to go back! I gave them all hugs and told them I loved them as we left. I admit I did get a little tired of coloring but I am so glad I got to go and make a difference in a kid's life...

No comments:

Post a Comment