Tuesday, April 19, 2011

dresses and jeans

A few weeks back, I went to town with my mom wearing a new dress I had gotten from the pile of clothes that couldn't be sent to Mexico. It was a jumper-style dress, something new that I wanted to try. We went to the book store together and the young cashier asked us what religion we are. He listed a few options and I (a little embarassed but still able to keep my head) told him "No, I just like wearing jumpers." He continued, saying that it was also the long hair (and I suspect, the absence of makeup) We told him that we do believe in God but didnt belong to any specific denomination. My point is, for one, I hate stereo-types and two, I dont think clothes should be what determines your belief. I think that the way you are with people, your conduct, and over-all attitude should show exactly who you follow...

2 comments:

  1. Amen That's my girl. You did well keeping your head. Your response was polite and respectful but also made the correct point without embarrassing the man. He may feel safe if he sees you again to ask more about what you believe or even more likely to connect you with other people form here and listen to them also. When we first moved to TN I went into a gas station for the first time in Jackson and the woman at the counter told me two women had come in the previous week from a community near Selmer and then she asked me if I was part of the same community. I asked her how she knew and she said they were real different and that I felt different in the same way. People know.

    Continue to shine and be a breath of fresh air where ever you go. Sometimes it takes only a pleasant sincere smile, that says I really care about you, to make someones day.

    Love you lots. Dad

    ReplyDelete