Saturday, January 30, 2016

Movies



I love movies.  I love to be told a story, I love watching people interact and I love piecing together the puzzles of their lives and problems...I like to be moved by performances on the screen and I like to think about how it affected me and why.
       Movies have helped shape who I am, I have emulated characters and they've become apart of me. My parents were very choosy about the movies I watched as a kid.  We didn't watch TV or movies until I was, like, 8 years old and today, I am still picky about what I watch and I praise what is good and pure and despise the things that are wicked.  That, I believe is the difference between being innocent or being pure.  Innocent means you don't know what evil is, pure means you know what it is but do not choose to be like it.



          Some people are very "conservative" and they don't watch any movies, or they only watch Christian-made films or they don't watch movies that have things like magic or "witchcraft."  I think in this way, you can keep your kids innocent, but I don't believe that is God's goal for us forever. God wants us to be pure.  In the world but not of the world.   This video by Paul Pavao really defines this thought.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ2UIALQJA

        I am not afraid of the media.  My criteria is this:

  • I will not watch movies that are based on sexual immorality or that make light of it and put it off as an OK thing.
  • I do not watch movies that are very violent, bloody for the sole sake of being violent and bloody nor do I watch movies that are meant to scare you (one of my life's goals is to be fear-free)
  • Must have good acting, a good story that makes sense and of course lots of meaning.


          So I watch movies and I let them inspire and influence me to do good.
If you spy on me when I'm by myself working on something or washing dishes, you'd see me imagining movies in my mind and acting out and quoting the characters that I've seen on the screen.

You will notice several movie posts in my blog :)  I have done one on Emma starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Phantom of the Opera starring Gerard Butler, The Sound of Music starring Julie Andrews and will soon do one on Les Miserables starring Hugh Jackman.



No comments:

Post a Comment